Monday, September 13, 2010

Good day, bad night

Today started much better than it ended. 
I finished my last pair of lace up boots.  I just need a photo shoot and the pattern is ready to go. The one picture I have is from my cell phone and not the best picture.  It is the knee high version.
 I was pleased with the way all of the boots turned out, but I wonder if anyone else will like them without a zipper up the back.  Except for the two short pairs, they are definetely not a part of a quick change wardrobe.  I think an experienced seamstress could add a zipper.  I could add one myself, but the object of the game for me has been to keep the sewing as simple as possible.  I will have to think on this.
After my boot success I decided to tackle my sewing machine problems head on.  I have an old well loved Singer Touch and Sew 600, that no longer works because I didn't know that the drain in the shower above my sewing area in the basement had sprung a leak until much too late to save the machine.  I found a Singer Touch and Sew 600E that was working  but had some parts missing at  Salvation Army.  Goody goody for me!  I cannibalized my poor 600 and have the new/old machine working great.  The only drawback is that the piece that is supposed to cover the bobbin area (it isn't the throat plate which is what I keep wanting to call it) was obviously replaced with the wrong part, and though I have that piece on my 600, there is stuff covering it that I can't remove because it is frozen in place.  Sigh.......
I also have a Touch and Sew portable that I found last summer at a garage sale for $5, and I fiddled with it a bit today, and it is working now, just needs oiled and lubricated. 
My new designs will go much quicker than they did sewing by hand.  Though I still do like sewing by hand, and will probably still do it some.
The bad ending to the day was my youngest boy getting sick.  There is a virus going around school right now, and I think that is what he had.  He wouldn't eat much last night, and that boy is an eating machine.  He is 14 and taller than my husband and I.  He loves potato salad, and didn't eat much of what we had.  He was in the  bathroom and started throwing up and something got stuck.  At first I thought he was having a seizure because he threw his head back and then his eyes started rolling around and then back in his head.  He seemed to be passing out and I couldn't get my arms around him and hold him up while doing the Heimlich.  Thank goodness my husband was there to get him laying down and he was able to manuever him to where he could get him  breathing.  That was so scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment