Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Woohoo!

I am so happy.  I have my 600E Singer Touch and Sew completely fixed, oiled and lubricated, and running like a top.  I never bothered taking the top and bottom off and oiling everything you are supposed to.  I used to take the old one in the shop.  Now with cobbling the two together and making one good machine, I won't be doing that anymore.  There is one dial that wont turn, but I generally only use straight and zigzag, and it is doing both well. 
I also oiled and lubricated the Touch and Sew 750 portable that I got for $5 at a garage sale.  You would not believe all the lint I took out of the bottom when I removed the cover.  It was packed full.  The old owner was definitely like I was before.  If it runs, it is just fine.  Take it in to the shop if it wont.   Removing the lint was so easy, and lint is not a sewing machines friend.
I am an odd bird.  I like old sewing machines.  My old 600 was a year older than me, and had belonged to my mother.  It worked well, and made me happy.  I don't need something computerized and with a bunch of fancy bells and whistles.  I like the cast iron machines that are a pain to lug and carry.
There is a place not to far from here that offers a class on sewing machine repair.  I would really like to take it, and my husband said he might just take it with me.  I never expected that, but it would be very nice. 
Anyway, the result of all my work on my sewing machines is that I wont have to keep trying to limp along  on my old Dressmaker sewing machine.  It was another bargain find, and didn't ever quite run as smoothly or efficiently as my old machine.  A sewing machine should be a pleasure to use.  Maybe I can fix it up though.  If not I have a friend whose grandmother has the same model and might need spare parts.
I need to get my photo session with the lace up boots done today.  I have another design that I just have to start soon, I love the idea, and it is driving me crazy not to work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment